The Software Engineer role is responsible for developing solutions to complex problems on the cross-functional software product team at Alaska. As an individual contributor, this role makes recommendations to improve delivering new features, bug fixes and enhancements to support Alaska’s guests and commercial goals.
- Applies knowledge as an engineer on a full-stack scrum delivery team, collaborating with product owners, designers and other engineers to solve complex technology and business problems.
- Works with stakeholders to translate requirements to design and build solutions that will meet business needs.
- Engineers, tests, deploys, and supports complex, full-stack customer-facing software applications.
- Ensures delivery of high-quality software by writing clean code and utilizing pair programming, test-driven development (TDD), and continuous integration/delivery.
- Actively engages in the technology industry; incorporating emerging technology into their day-to-day work.
- Develops an understanding and working knowledge for the team’s guest experience, business, and systems and creates solutions.
Job-Specific Skills, Education, and Experience
- 2 years of experience building enterprise grade, reliable ETL/ELT processes.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field or an additional two years of relevant training/experience in lieu of this degree.
- Experience with Relational Databases (Oracle 11g/12c, SQL Server)
- Experience using Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) , Informatica or other industry standard ETL tool
- Experience with dimensional Data Modeling, familiarity with Kimball, Inmon methodologies
- Experience with complex query and process performance tuning/troubleshooting
- Experience with DevOps CI/CD (Azure DevOps, GitHub) and collaborating within a Git SCCS
- Excellent communication skills and a proven ability to collaborate with a variety of team members.
- Demonstrated passion for continuous learning and development.
- Experience with TOAD, Tableau, Alteryx
- Experience with a strongly typed language like C# or Java.
- Experience with data processing technologies such as Apache Spark (Databricks)
- Experience working as a full-stack engineer.
- Experience developing machine learning models in R, Python or Scala
- Experience developing data pipelines using Spark, Parquet, or equivalents
- Experience with modern design principles, such as the development and utilization of cloud APIs, single-page web apps, hybrid mobile development, and SOLID principles.
- Experience in agile/lean development methodologies.
- Experience developing web or mobile applications using modern technologies (React, Swift, etc.) OR Experience developing application platforms that work with large data sets.
- Experience with test-driven development (TDD), unit testing, pair programming and other Extreme Programming (XP) techniques.
Job-Specific Leadership Expectations:
· Embody our values to own safety, do the right thing, be kind-hearted, deliver performance, and be remarkable.