Our client is hiring a System Engineer. They are in the beginning stages of developing a product that you will have the ability to influence what and how they build it. You are perfect for this position if you possess that rare mix of Development, System Engineering, and Customer Obsession. As well as if you are comfortable with system admin, networking, distributed architectures, and complex systems. System Engineers are expected to develop best practices, refine operational procedure, and constantly think pro-actively and with innovation.
- Define technical scope and objectives through research and participation in requirements gathering and definition of processes.
- Follow a test-driven development process.
- Represent the customer’s interests during reviews of functional requirements and code.
- Work closely with stakeholders to ensure timely product delivery.
- Perform various system and application maintenance tasks.
- Monitor the health of the fleet, automating system health, maintenance tasks, and reporting systems as needed.
- Adapt and improve operations management systems and processes to accommodate rapid and increasing growth in systems and traffic.
- Development and delivery of operability-related features such as system health monitoring, diagnostics, repair, and other self-healing automation.
- Excellent communication, organization, and time management skills.
- Strong focus on automation and self-healing systems to reduce manual support and downtime where possible.
- Keen attention to detail and a high level of commitment.
- Self-starter with the ability to manage various tasks in parallel and own them to completion.
- Manage directly assigned tasks and on-call duties gracefully.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience focused on Unix/Linux.
- Experience with mission critical, 24×7 systems.
- BS Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent experience.
- Scripting at least one of the following languages – Python/Bash/Powershell.
- Server Administration and Networking experience.
- Experience with distributed infrastructure.
- Experience setting up and troubleshooting high availability systems.
- Experience working with Virtual environments (i.e. VMware, VirtualBox and HyperV).
- Some experience with deployment automation tools such as SaltStack, Chef, Puppet, or Ansible.